How soon after a car accident should you call a personal injury lawyer? The answer is as soon as possible, whether the accident is minor or not. Here's why.
1. Full Crash Site Investigation
Even if you've taken pictures, submitted your statement to authorities, and contacted your insurance company (though we recommend contacting an attorney even before contacting your insurance company), there may be aspects of your accident that have been overlooked or gone unnoticed. A personal injury lawyer will investigate your accident claim by:
- interviewing witnesses
- obtaining surveillance footage
- conducting an accident simulation based on statements
- re-evaluating police and collision reports that may contain errors and inconsistencies
- examining your vehicle and acquiring data from its Event Data Recorder
- reviewing the other driver's cell phone records to rule out distracted driving
- surveilling the other driver's social media activity for posts that contradict previous statements
2. In-Depth Examination of All Potential Damages
Physical and mental damage - and even the damage to your vehicle - may stretch beyond what was reported or what you are experiencing during the hours following the crash. There may be unapparent bone or muscle injury, brain damage, or trauma that needs immediate treatment. There could even be damage to your vehicle which requires repairs that exceed the estimate you were told. Your accident attorney will examine each of these possibilities in-depth as to provide you with the best possible chance of recovering the highest settlement.
3. Thorough Insurance Negotiation & Settlement
Your insurance company may deny your claim, or they may offer to pay you much less than your claim is actually worth. They may also convince you to say something on the record that devalues your claim. Not only will your personal injury lawyer initiate the payout process as soon as possible, but they will confront the insurance company about these pathetic schemes and influence them to pay what you deserve based on the facts from evidence gathered.
Medical bills, vehicle repairs, and long-term mental or physical therapy are all potential costs and unfortunate consequences following a crash. You need an honest, dedicated attorney on your side to take these debilitating stresses off your shoulders while you focus on recovering.
Call a Jacksonville car accident lawyer at Wilkes & Mee. We will meet with you and quickly begin the insurance payout process after a comprehensive investigation.