Practice Areas Firm Contact

Maritime Injury

Maritime law covers a wide range of activity mostly occurring on or over water. Whether you are a seaman aboard a vessel, passenger on a cruise ship, or operator of personal watercraft, maritime law may apply to you.

Do you have a maritime injury claim?

Maritime laws are complex and require a thorough understanding of the statutes, codes, and cases that make up the law. If you have been injured in a boating accident, on a cruise ship, or while working on a vessel, contact our Jacksonville, Florida maritime injury attorney at Wilkes & Mee for help with your claim.

Jones Act Claims

Seamen who are injured while working aboard a vessel may be entitled to recover damages for their injuries under the Jones Act which incorporates provisions of the Federal Employer Liability Act (“FELA”).

If you are injured while working aboard a vessel, contact Wilkes & Mee for assistance with your claim. It is important that you speak with an attorney to fully understand your rights. For instance, did you know that you are not required to see the doctor the employer recommends? Our firm can help you choose a doctor who will look out for your interests and not for the company’s interests.

Additionally, our firm will help you evaluate your claim and work to maximize the amount of settlement you receive. Talk with a Jones Act attorney before signing any releases or accepting any money for your injuries. Wilkes & Mee can get you get the settlement you are entitled to.

Maintenance & Cure

Under the principles of general maritime law, injured seamen are entitled to maintenance and cure from their employers. Maintenance is the amount of money a seaman is entitled to for daily living expenses such as room and board. Cure refers to the reasonable medical expenses incurred in the treatment of a seaman’s condition.

Seamen are also entitled to those wages that would have been earned during the remainder of the voyage. This is in addition to any maintenance and cure that is provided.

If you are not being paid for living expenses, medical expenses, or lost wages, contact a maritime attorney in our office today for a free consultation.

Wilkes & Mee | (904) 620-9545